Community

1120 of 23 items

Emanuel African Methodist Church in Charleston, S.C., Nine People Killed

by admin

I remember reading about this tragedy moments after it happened, my heart began to break for this church, for the community, and for the families that would forever be affected by one person’s hate filled act. A church, which has long stood for racial equality; built during a time of slavery, struggling through a history […]

20th Annual Paint Your Heart Out Portsmouth

by admin

On April 18th  members of Park View Christian Church joined with hundreds of volunteers to participate in the 20th Annual Paint Your Heart Out sponsored by the Portsmouth Rotary Club. Six houses were selected based on a number of criteria, including being below the poverty line, for painting, cleanup, minor repairs, and other tasks. Gina […]

A Chance at Renewal

by admin

A Chance at Renewal By Eric Mitchell Easter is not only about Christ’s resurrection, but it’s also about renewal and redemption. Does God’s grace in Jesus Christ move you to help others realize a new life and a second chance? An overwhelming number of people leaving prison and those with felony convictions are at serious […]

Sanctuary of Hope

by admin

On Tuesday, members of our church, along with our Pastor Tim Campbell, participated in the Sanctuary of Hope’s worship service and meal for the needy of our community. Helping to prepare the meal for those attending were Gerald and Sandra Rhodes, Janet Sydenstricker, Sidney Harman, Leo Ruffing, Ginz Artz, and Michael Tefft. The meal prepared […]

The Word-less “Church”

by admin

Many American churches are in a mess. Theologically they are indifferent, confused, or dangerously wrong. Liturgically they are the captives of superficial fads. Morally they live lives indistinguishable from the world. They often have a lot of people, money, and activities. But are they really churches, or have they degenerated into peculiar clubs? What has gone […]

Small Rural Church Turns Itself Into A Beacon

by admin

Yellow Pine Christian Church may be one of the Disciple churches you’ve not heard a lot about. Their first building project was in 1902, as part of a logging community near Sibley, La. This one room church served a logging community of 2000+ and in true Disciple tradition opened its doors to all denominations and […]

When The Bottom Drops Out

by admin

When The Bottom Drops Out Finding Grace in the Depths of Disappointment This is the name of a book written by Senior Pastor Robert Bugh from Wheaton Bible Church in West Chicago. It was written by him after years of helping others through the heartache and losses of life when suddenly his own life turned […]

A Fool for Fall

by admin

Of all the seasons, fall is by far my favorite. There’s a distinct feel about it, an undeniable aura that surrounds it. Of course being a big football fan I always look forward to the beginning of the season when all our teams are as yet undefeated and the hope looms of winning the “Lombardi” […]